In the world of popular music, singer-songwriters not only sing but also write songs, usually for themselves to sing. Try to answer these questions about singers who also write songs. Need help? Use Credo Reference Online. Do you know, you can download 5 free songs each week from the Library to keep forever? Give Freegal a try.
1. Which US singer-songwriter had the most successful album of the early 1970s, in a duo with Art Garfunkel, with “Bridge Over Troubled Water”?
2. Which popular singer and songwriter had best-selling albums with “Off The Wall” (1979) and “Thriller” (1982)?
3. Born Robert Zimmerman in 1941, which influential singer-songwriter “went electric” for the albums “Highway 61 Revisited” and “Blonde on Blonde”?
4. Which singer-songwriter was murdered by Mark David Chapman in 1980?
5. Which Canadian singer-songwriter composed the songs “Both Sides Now” and “Big Yellow Taxi”?
6. P. J. Harvey is a singer-songwriter. What is her first name (starting with P)?
7. Which Canadian singer-songwriter was a poet and novelist before he made albums entitled “Songs from a Room” and “Death of a Ladies’ Man”?
8. Which American singer-songwriter made albums called “Tuesday Night Music Club” and “The Globe Sessions” and performed the title track to the James Bond movie “Tomorrow Never Dies”?
9. Which female singer-songwriter reached the American Top Five with “Chuck E’s in Love” (1979)?
10. Which singer-songwriter married singer-songwriter Carly Simon in 1972?
How do you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!