Have you wondered what has happened to many of the electronic resources you have used in the past?
Starting April, 2010, the following resources will no longer be available through the library’s electronic resources;
Hobbies and Crafts
Children’s Comprehensive Literature
We are sure you can find what you are looking for in the suggested electronic resources or other sources, so give them a try. Remember, in order to use our electronic resources from home, you must be a resident of the Las Vegas taxing district with a valid card number and pin. If not, you can always use these at any of our libraries. Statewide resources can be used by anyone with a Nevada Library card.
- There is not an alternative to our Hobbies and Crafts electronic resource, but you can always find craft magazines in : Articles in EBSCO such as Crafts n’ Things, Easy Does It Needlework & Crafts, and McCall’s Needlework & Crafts as well as
- Articles in Gale such as Creative Crafts, Creative Crafts & Miniatures and Threads.
- Our eMedia catalog also has a host of hobby and crafts ebooks which you can download to your computer.
- You can also find craft magazines or books in our libraries and many free craft websites via the Internet.
As an alternative to Children’s Comprehensive Literature, you can use the Young Adult Literature electronic resource.
In this source you can find the following information;
1. Full-text literary criticisms on writers and illustrators for children and young adults.
2. Critical essays, which are selected from leading sources, including published journals, magazines, books, monographs, reviews, and scholarly papers.
This resource is extremely helpful because there are also multiple ways to search for information.
1. Basic Search – You can simply enter the title of the work for a list of sources that has reviewed the title.
2. Publication Search – You can see a list of all the publications that contain reviews in this electronic resource by simply clicking the show all/hide all link.
• The Biography Link – Contains a list of biography sources.
• The History link contains the American History Through Literature volumes for various time periods.
• Literature link – Contains review sources such as Authors and Artist for Young Adults Children’s Literature Review. Each of these volumes features an index and table of contents for each book.
3. Subject Search – You can search for a subject and retrieve various titles within that subject area that have been reviewed.
4. Advanced Search – You can limit the results received by including specific search criteria from the options provided.
As you can see, there are still electronic resources that will contain information to help in your research. Do you find this electronic resource fun and easy to use? Why or why not?
Are you a stay at home mom and need something to occupy your time now that the kids have gone back to school?
Great! Check out our Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center database.
Here you can learn a new hobby or craft. There are several ways to see what hobbies there are.
The easiest is to view all topics and simply select from the list. Oh my god, there are too many results and you don’t want to go through them all. No problem, narrow your results by subject.This is found in the top left hand corner.
Once you have found and article, simply click on PDF full Text. This will give you the actual article with instructions and pictures for completing the project. No more running out to get the magazine, it is right here on-line.
Finally, don’t forget that with any of our databases, you can email a copy of the article, print it out, or save it for future use.
There are lots more to find in this database. What did you find useful in this database?
Looking for creative ways to spend the summer? Find fun, easy crafts to make, from a traveling scrapbook to a postcard beach bag. There’s a ton of fun craft ideas for all in the Virtual Library’s Hobbies and Crafts website.
We have subscribed to a brand new database just for all the crafters and hobby-lovers out there! The Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center Database is an easy to use tool to research the basics of many hobbies and crafts.
There are several different options for browsing including category options, special Holidays crafts, popular sources as well as kid’s crafts. You can also do a key word search or take a look at all the difference topics there are available.
Some of the interesting topics include Bird Watching, Geocaching, Pez and Candy Dispensers, Genealogy, Needlepoint and Polymer Clay. The diagrams are easy to read and the articles are helpful!
Take time to look up a hobby or craft and create something new!