ReadSpeaker text-to-speech technology is now available in the Repair and Bulletin/Recalls sections of ChiltonLibrary. ReadSpeaker® is the worldwide leader in online text to speech and its functionality lets users hear the article read out loud, as the words spoken are highlighted on the screen.
Users simply click the new Listen button in the Tool Bar. Pause and Stop abilities are also there. With the Settings button, users can change speed, highlighter color, and font size.
ReadSpeaker technology helps individuals who have lower reading levels comprehend details in Chilton content.
ESL/ELL users can better comprehend the content by hearing the English pronunciations.
Audio content from the Repair section can be downloaded in MP3 format for users to save and access offline.
In addition Full Service Information has been released for:
- 1996-2015 model Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars, SUVs, vans, and trucks
- 2011-2015 model Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and Jeep cars, SUVs, vans, and trucksThese updated databases describe and direct repair procedures specified by Ford Motor Company and Chrysler. Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), Diagnostics, Scheduled Maintenance, plus critical health and safety precautions are also included.
Key Content Changes in This Release
Comprehensive factory diagnostic and service information for over 880 Year, Make, and Model combinations.
Updated repair and diagnostic articles
449,300 from Ford
305,561 from Chrysler
Updated graphics—More than a million from Ford using color to identify components and the sequence. These are also helpful to those who may be more visual, hands-on, have difficulty reading, or those with limited English skills. More than 500,000 from Chrysler, including diagrams and real photos.
All major systems, sub-systems, and components are covered.
Download complete lists of the new ChiltonLibrary makes and models at The Gale Blog.
Visit Databases A-Z General Reference for access to ChiltonLibrary.
April is National Car Care Month, and the library offers a variety of resources for you to learn more about taking care of your car. One of the resources is ChiltonLibrary.
What’s cool about this database for the lay person? The ChiltonLibrary Estimator Tool which allows users to answer the following questions related to vehicles from 1981 to current models:
- How long will the repair take?
- What will the repair cost? (Multiply labor time by the hourly labor rate)
- How do I better understand the professional estimate for my vehicle repairs?
- How much time would it take to do related repairs together? (Combined time)
Chilton provides one of the most trusted Labor Estimator Tools on the market. Because all labor times are not the same, Chilton’s professional technicians draw upon their experience and access to technical information to calculate times that take into consideration skill level, tools, and variables such as the age and condition of the vehicle.
Chilton labor times include three components: the manufacturer warranty time (OEM), the regular time, and the severe service time. Warranty times are often based on time studies and are the length of time the carmaker says it should take a trained dealer technician using dealer tools to perform a job. This is the labor time the carmaker will use to reimburse the dealer for warranty work. Chilton “Regular” labor times, work from the manufacturer warranty time, while drawing on professional experience and other factors to calculate the time it would take a technician in an independent shop to perform the same procedure. Chilton pioneered the use of “Severe” service times, which are for conditions where wear, age, rust, dirt, etc. make service more difficult and so more time is needed to complete the job.
Auto mechanics will love the ASE Sample Tests!
The ASE Technician Sample Tests available in ChiltonLibrary.com are short sample tests which provide a high-level assessment of overall readiness to pass an ASE certification exam. Users will gain a better understanding of their strengths and areas needing additional review. According to the National Institute for Automotive Excellence more than 300,000 automotive professionals nationwide have earned the ASE Blue Seal of Excellence and must renew their certification every 5 years. Tests may be taken any number of times.
- Sample questions similar to those seen on ASE exams
- Information and strategies to pass the first time
- Content reviewed and approved by master technicians for real-world accuracy
- The most up-to-date material available
- ASE-style exam questions reflecting the most recent ASE task list — the skills that technicians need to know on the job