The Internal Revenue Service is not providing pre-printed forms to libraries, but taxpayers still have access to online forms, free computers, WiFi, printing, copying, and AARP Tax Help at your library.
Don’t let tax scammers get away with it!
Tax season is getting close — and for some people, so is an experience with tax identity theft or IRS imposters. Tax identity theft happens when someone uses your Social Security number to get a tax refund or a job. You usually find out something’s wrong after you file your tax return.
Also, IRS imposters work year-round — posing as the IRS when they call and say you owe taxes. They even threaten to arrest you if you don’t put money on a prepaid debit card and tell them the card number. They might know all or part of your Social Security number, and can fake caller ID information to make it look like it really is the IRS calling. But it’s not. Ever.
Want to know what you can do about these scams?January 26th-30th is Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week. This week, the FTC, AARP, and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) will be hosting a webinar. Join us to get the facts about these scams and learn how to protect yourself and those you care about:
- Tuesday, Jan. 27
- 2:00-3:30pm EST (11:00am-12:30pm PST)
- Click “Join Now”
- Enter the event number: 997 867 542 and event password: M33ting
- To hear the webinar:
- Call (800) 230-1074
- Enter confirmation Number: 350395
Need help with your taxes? Visit the Hot Topic – Income Taxes where you will find links to forms and tax preparation assistance.
Las Vegas-Clark County Library District, with government and private organizations is promoting consumer education during National Consumer Protection Week, which takes place the first full week of March each year. Visit the Library’s Hot Topic – Consumer Information to find free consumer information.
American Indian History has had a complete redesign and wealth of enhancements. Click to see an
OVERVIEW OF NEW ENHANCEMENTS! or
Download the product overview (PDF) and familiarize yourself with some of the key enhancements to the history database:
- More intuitive interface featuring a clean new design
- Enhanced Topic Centers as well as new content
- New SMART Board–friendly videos and slideshows created around specific themes and lesson topics
- Real-time, searchable Reuters® newsfeed
- New tag “clouds” for all content, linking to other content with the same tags
- Improved source pages
- Correlated to all major educational standards
- Dynamic citations in MLA and Chicago formats, with EasyBib export functionality
- Translation and Read Aloud tools
- New searchable Support Center with live help chat.
Need more information on Native Americans? Visit our Hot Topic – Native American Heritage to find all kinds of resources loaded with information.
Kiplinger’s Best College Values 2015 ranks the top public colleges, private universities and liberal arts colleges that offer a quality education at an affordable price. Plus see how the top 50 schools rank overall.
New to Zinio Magazines from the Library? Learn how to get 200+ magazines by reading the Hot Topic – Zinio.
Looking for more information on colleges and money for college? See Hot Topic – Colleges and Technical Schools.