To celebrate Native American Heritage, I have updated our Hot Topic – Native American Heritage. Use the new Hot Topic to find the answers to these questions about Native Americans if you don’t know the answer.
- What is the correct terminology: American Indian, Indian, Native?
- How many Indians lived in America before 1492?
- The Apache usually built single-family homes called what?
- Who were the first Peoples to live in America?
- What is a group of relatives who had a common ancestor with the members typically were related through either the men of the family or through the women, but not through both called?
- Religious beliefs of the Southwest Indians were generally characterized by what terms?
- This famous Nevada Indian was the son of a Paiute prophet, is thought to have been born in 1858. He is better known in Nevada history as Jack Wilson because he took the name of the white family who had befriended him. What is his Indian name?
- This Paiute author was from Nevada, she was the first Native woman to publish a personal and tribal history. What is her name?
- The area from Narragansett Bay in eastern Rhode Island to the Atlantic Ocean in southeastern Massachusetts, including Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, was the home of which Native American Tribe?
- Nilch’itsoh [nil-CHI-tso] is a Navajo word that means?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!