Let’s wrap up Summer Reading with this brain teaser. Can you name the title of the book or author of these popular books, people buy or borrow from a library. Need help? Use Credo Reference Online
1. What name is usually used for Theodor Seuss Geisel, whose children’s books are known for their blend of whimsy, zany humour, catchy verse, and outlandish illustrations?
2. Which English novelist wrote “Sense and Sensibility”, “Mansfield Park” and “Emma”?
3. Which US author wrote “The Firm”, “The Pelican Brief”, and “The Client”?
4. What was the first novel by J. D. Salinger, about a mixed-up teenager called Holden Caulfield?
5. The real name of the author of “Animal Farm” and “The Road to Wigan Pier” was Eric Arthur Blair. What name did he use when publishing his books?
6. Name the only novel by US writer Harper Lee which was about the trial of a black man accused of raping a white woman, The events are seen through the eyes of Scout, the six-year-old daughter of defence lawyer Atticus Finch.
7. Which US author wrote “Mother Tongue”, “Notes From a Small Island” and “A Short History of Nearly Everything”?
8. Which English novelist wrote “Rebecca” and the short story “The Birds” which were both made into films by Alfred Hitchcock?
9. Which British children’s author wrote “The Story of Tracy Beaker” and “The Dare Game”?
10. Which writer published the autobiographical “Moab Is My Washpot”?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)