All the answers to this week’s brainteaser include the word “purple” or are connected with purple. Need help? Use Credo Reference Online
1. Heavy rock group which contained at various times Ritchie Blackmore, David Coverdale, Jon Lord and Ian Paice.
2. A heart-shaped purple tablet consisting mainly of amphetamine.
3. Handsome high-flying butterfly, with rusty black wings, lustrous in the male, and with seven white spots and a transverse white band.
4. Title of a song by Jimi Hendrix with references to the purple smoke used at landing zones in the Vietnam War.
5. Possibly Alice Walker’s most famous book, for which she won the American Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, turned into a movie by Steven Spielberg.
6. In which television programme is the largest character Tinky Winky, who is purple and has a handbag?
7. The title of a 1985 Woody Allen film which starred Mia Farrow.
8. The title of a 1947 novel by H. E. Bates.
9. Nino Tempo is best known for his 1963 hit version of which song with April Stevens?
10. Complete this title of Zane Grey’s most popular novel: “Riders of the Purple…”.
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)