Here are clues to ten words which all start with con-. For instance, “The director of an orchestra, choir, opera or ballet” could lead to “conductor”. Can you identify all ten words?
Need help? Use Credo Reference Online.
1. A performance given by one or more singers or instrumentalists or both.
2. The interchange through speech of information, ideas, etc.; spoken communication.
3. Somebody who is kept in prison as a punishment for a crime.
4. To express pleasure to someone at their success, good fortune, happiness, etc.
5. To give one’s permission for something; to agree to something.
6. Hollowed or rounded inwards like the inside of a bowl.
7. An entertainer who is able to twist their body into spectacularly unnatural positions.
8. A large destructive fire.
9. An index of words used in a single book or all the works of an author.
10. The state of being related by blood or descended from a common ancestor.
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)