Here’s another brainteaser about the popular names that are given to people or things. Some people or things have two names: one is their full or proper name; the other is a popular name or nickname. So the actor John Christopher Depp II is popularly known as Johnny Depp, while the Strategic Defense Initiative is colloquially known as Star Wars. Try to answer this new batch of questions about popular names. Need help? Use Credo Reference.
1. What is the popular name of Gerald N. Springer, a television presenter, lawyer, and politician, who hosted a controversial TV show?
2. Is Dixie a popular name for the northern or southern states of the USA?
3. What was the popular name of Joseph Louis Barrow (1914-1981), a boxer also known as The Brown Bomber? He was heavyweight champion for more than 11 years.
4. What is the popular name for a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, founded by Joseph Smith in 1830?
5. Which American city has the nickname of “The Big Easy”?
6. What was the popular name in World War II for the German counterattack in the Ardennes, Dec.,1944-Jan., 1945, also known as the Battle in the Ardennes, creating a dent in the Allied lines?
7. What was the popular name of James or John Cleveland, who won four gold medals at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin? Hitler left the stadium to avoid having to congratulate an African-American.
8. What was the popular name given to the major painter of the Florentine Renaissaince, Fra Giovanni da Fiesole?
9. What was the popular name of Ferdinand Lemott (1885-1941), jazz pianist, composer, and bandleader? His band was called the Red Hot Peppers.
10. What name was given to the Spanish epic hero Rodrigo Diaz (1040?-1099), a professional mercenary motivated by an endless quest for money? His title derived from an Arabic word for “lord”.
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)