Some time ago, we had brainteasers about the letters A, B and C. Now here’s a quiz where the answers are all words or phrases that start with the letter D. Need help? Use Credo Reference Online.
1. What is the surname of the American film actor who starred in “Good Will Hunting”, “Saving Private Ryan” and “The Bourne Identity”?
2. What is the surname of the author (1812-1870) of “Oliver Twist”, “Nicholas Nickleby” and “The Old Curiosity Shop”?
3. “Disco” is a shortened form of which word?
4. Which country is bounded to the north by the Skagerrak, east by the Kattegat strait, south by Germany, and west by the North Sea?
5. Which disease can be caused by reduced production of the hormone insulin, or a reduced response of the liver, muscle, and fat cells to insulin?
6. What surname was used by the singer/songwriter who was born Robert Allen Zimmerman in 1941?
7. Which 1963 film had the sub-title “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”?
8. What is the English name for the island off the northeast coast of French Guiana which was a penal colony notorious for its terrible conditions? Alfred Dreyfus was imprisoned here.
9. Which satirical romance by Miguel de Cervantes is about a gentleman who sets out on his wanderings accompanied by his servant, Sancho Panza?
10. What is the name of the former capital of Tanzania, which was also the capital of German East Africa and of Tanganyika?
How did you do?0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)