Try to identify the names of places (countries, cities, etc.) hidden in these clues about their origin. Need help? Try Credo Reference Online.
1. Which area of Spain can be translated as “Coast of the Sun”?
2. Which English city got its name from a ford used by oxen?
3. Which city in California has a name that means “the Angels”?
4. Which Greek city was named after its patron goddess Athena?
5. Which part of the United Kingdom has a name which comes from an Old English word meaning “foreigner, stranger, Celt”?
6. Which South American country is cut through by the equator, after which it is named?
7. Which Irish city has a name that means “black pool”?
8. Which South American country gets its name from the Spanish for “silver country”?
9. Which Dutch city got its name from a phrase meaning “the count’s hedge”?
10. Which American state gets its name from the Spanish for “snow-covered”?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)