A jukebox musical is a musical show on stage or screen in which all or most of the songs have been previously recorded or performed. Try to answer these questions about such shows. (Beware: one of the shows was based on poems, not songs.) Need help? Use Credo Reference Online.
1. “Mamma Mia” is a musical based on songs by which group?
2. The film “Saturday Night Fever” was reworked as a stage musical based on songs by which group?
3. “We Will Rock You” was a musical tribute to which band?
4. Was the book for the Rod Stewart musical “Tonight’s The Night” written by Elton John, Andrew Lloyd Webber, or Ben Elton?
5. “The Times They Are a-Changin’” was based on whose songs?
6. Which 1981 musical was based on verses by T. S. Eliot?
7. The 1989 musical “Buddy” was based on the life of which pop singer?
8. Twyla Tharp conceived the Broadway ballet “Movin’ Out” which was set to songs by which artist?
9. Which Oscar-winning 1951 film produced by Arthur Freed featured music written by George and Ira Gershwin?
10. Which opera, first performed in 1728, used music made up of traditional ballads and popular tunes of the day?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)