Try to identify these people who all have the first name Jean or Joan. And remember that these names can belong to men as well as women. Need help? Try Credo Reference.
1. American movie star who won an Academy Award for her appearance in “Mildred Pierce”. She was also memorably teamed with Bette Davis in “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?”
2. French intellectual and a leader of the French Revolution, who was assassinated by Charlotte Corday in 1793.
3. French film director whose films included “La Grande Illusion”, “The Diary of a Chambermaid” and “The River”. He was the son of a famous painter.
4. American folksinger and political activist whose recordings include “Gracias a la Vida” and “Diamonds and Rust”.
5. French poet (1621-95) best known for his “Fables”.
6. British-born actress who played the young Estella in the 1946 film of “Great Expectations” and Ophelia in Laurence Olivier’s film of “Hamlet”.
7. French dramatist and poet (1639-99) whose works included “Andromaque”, “Bajazet” and “Mithridate”.
8. British novelist (1894-1979) whose novels included “After Leaving Mr. Mackenzie” and “Wide Sargasso Sea”.
9. US comedian who was born Joan Molinsky in 1933.
10. Spanish painter, ceramicist and sculptor who was a leading member of the Surrealist movement.
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)