Some while ago we had a brainteaser about people whose surname was Jones. Now we have a quiz in which you have to identify from the clues people whose surname is Smith. Need help? Try Credo Reference.
1. Rap artist who had the lead role in TV’s “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and later starred in the films “Independence Day” and “Men in Black”.
2. British actress who appeared in the films “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie”, “A Room With a View”, “The First Wives Club” and “Gosford Park”.
3. The most prominent jazz-blues Hammond organ player of the late fifties and early sixties.
4. Australian gardener Maria Ann Smith had an apple named after the familiar name she was known by. What is the apple called?
5. British author who wrote the children’s classic “The Hundred and One Dalmatians” as well as the plays “Autumn Crocus” and “Dear Octopus”.
6. British writer whose best-known poem is probably the title poem of her 1957 collection “Not Waving But Drowning”.
7. African-American blues singer (died 1937) known for her imposing physical size and full-bodied delivery. Edward Albee wrote a 1960 play about her death.
8. The founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (otherwise known as the Mormons).
9. Scottish economist whose 1776 book “The Wealth of Nations” revolutionized thinking about capitalism.
10. A Whig clergyman and canon of St Paul’s who was called by Macaulay “The Smith of Smiths”.
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)