This brainteaser is all about abbreviations, which can be letters like UN (= United Nations) or shortened words like Thur (= Thursday). Need help? Use Credo Reference to find the answers.
1. Flu is an abbreviation of which illness?
2. DIY is the practice of doing one’s own household repairs. What does DIY stand for?
3. The standard abbreviation for pence is now “p”. Which letter was used for pence or penny before decimalization in 1971?
4. The capital of the USA is Washington DC. What does the DC stand for?
5. A unit of measurement called “dB” is generally used to express sound intensity. What does “dB” stand for?
6. A pixel is the smallest unit into which an image can be divided. It is an abbreviation of which two words?
7. As a computer storage device, what does CD-ROM stand for?
8. Which American state is abbreviated as MA?
9. In information technology, what does ASCII stand for?
10. MRSA is a bacterial strain that causes serious problems in hospitals. What does MRSA stand for?
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk).