Many companies have had to cut back on services that are offered to the public because of budget constraints. The Library is also experiencing challenges in regards to services that we offer. In the near future, you will begin to notice that we have made several changes to our electronic resources. Many sources will no longer be available, so we will try and offer alternative electronic resources or other sources that may contain the same of similar information. Please remember, we are trying to provide the best service in times of a down economy and we appreciate your understanding.
After June, 2010, the following resources will no longer be available through the library’s electronic resources;
1. Grolier Online
2. Grove Encyclopedia of Art
3. Grove Encyclopedia of Music
1. Grolier Online – This electronic resource contained many encyclopedias that could be searched all at once. Instead, you can try World Book. World Book allows you to Search all encyclopedia articles, multimedia, periodical, e-book, and primary source databases in a single search, or use our image search to focus on the site’s multimedia collection. You can find all the information you need on any research topic,
You can search the following categories in World Book Info Finder to find information;
- World Book Explorers
- Current Events
- Research Tools
- Science Projects
- Biography Center
You can find information using the following search methods;
- Search box
- By subject
- Images and Videos
- Advanced Search
2.Grove Encyclopedia of Art – We have no electronic resource that you can use instead of this one, but we have an entire “Hot Topic” that will help with many of your art needs. The “Hot Topics” is a place where you can find websites, books, databases and much more. Each “Hot Topic” is devoted to one subject area.
To find the Hot Topics, follow these simple instructions;
- Go to our homepage, lvccld.org
- Click on Find Information
- Click on Hot Topics
- Under General Reference, click on Art
3. Grove Encyclopedia of Music – There are a few resources to use to get information on music.
For Composers – Biography Resource Center is the best place if you need information on any composers. You can either enter the name in the search box, or you can use the Biographical Facts Search and find various composers by using the Occupation limiter.
For Music History – Student Research Center covers a broad range of general topics designed to assist middle school and high school students. Includes a dictionary, an encyclopedia, with the ability to search by topic.