How much do you know about the Middle East?
Test your knowledge with these tidbits from CultureGrams:
- True or false: Arabic (the language spoken in much of the Middle East) is written from right to left, instead of from left to right as in English.
- The ancient city of Petra, carved out of solid stone, is located in this country.
- What is the official language of Iran?
- Which country’s name means “Land of the Pure”?
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) were located in which present-day country?
- Which country is made up of a peninsula that juts north into the Arabian Gulf?
- The United Arab Emirates was officially declared a nation in which year?
- Which Israeli city is considered holy by Jews, Christians, and Muslims alike?
- Only 45 percent of which country’s population has citizenship from the country?
- Muslims are required to make a pilgrimage (called a hajj) to which Saudi Arabian city at least once in their lives?
Answers: 1) True. 2) Jordan. 3) Persian, or Farsi. 4) Pakistan. 5) Iraq. 6) Qatar. 7) 1971. 8) Jerusalem. 9) Kuwait. 10) Makkah, or Mecca.