How much do you know about the Middle East?
Test your knowledge with these tidbits from CultureGrams:
- True or false: Arabic (the language spoken in much of the Middle East) is written from right to left, instead of from left to right as in English.
- The ancient city of Petra, carved out of solid stone, is located in this country.
- What is the official language of Iran?
- Which country’s name means “Land of the Pure”?
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) were located in which present-day country?
- Which country is made up of a peninsula that juts north into the Arabian Gulf?
- The United Arab Emirates was officially declared a nation in which year?
- Which Israeli city is considered holy by Jews, Christians, and Muslims alike?
- Only 45 percent of which country’s population has citizenship from the country?
- Muslims are required to make a pilgrimage (called a hajj) to which Saudi Arabian city at least once in their lives?
1) True. 2) Jordan. 3) Persian, or Farsi. 4) Pakistan. 5) Iraq. 6) Qatar. 7) 1971. 8) Jerusalem. 9) Kuwait. 10) Makkah, or Mecca.