If you like recorded music, you probably know that there are lots of different record companies. Here are some questions about some of the best-known record labels. Use Credo Reference if you need help finding the answers.
1. Name the record company which was founded by the four Beatles in 1968.
2. Which record label was launched by Richard Branson with Mike Oldfield’s first album, “Tubular Bells”?
3. Sam Phillips discovered Elvis Presley. What was the name of Phillips’s record label, which also nurtured the careers of Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Charlie Rich?
4. Through his association with Bob Marley, Chris Blackwell played a major part in the international popularity of reggae in the seventies. What was the name of the British independent record company that Blackwell founded?
5. What was the name of the noncommercial record label for recordings produced by the U.S. War Department between 1943 and 1949 for the use of military personnel?
6. A & M was named from the surnames of its two founders. What was the name of the founder whose surname started with A?
7. As the name of a record label, what does “HMV” stand for?
8. EMI was formed in 1931. What do the letters “EMI” stand for?
9. Jerry Masucci popularized the term “salsa” which described the Latin dance music issued on his label. What was the label called?
10. For over ten years, Booker T and the MGs was the house band for which record label?