This week’s brainteaser is about animals who appear in various books. Can you tell us the animal? Need help? Use Credo Reference Online
1. In Rudyard Kipling’s “Jungle Book”, the boy Mowgli was raised by what kind of animals?
2. In E. B. White’s novel “Charlotte’s Web”, what kind of animal was Charlotte?
3. What was the title of Beatrix Potter’s first book: “The Tale of…”?
4. In the stories about Tintin by the Belgian artist Hergé, what was the name of Tintin’s faithful dog in the English versions?
5. Kenneth Grahame’s “The Wind in the Willows” relates the adventures of a group of four animals. Name three of the four kinds of animal.
6. Which 1945 novel includes animals called Napoleon and Snowball?
7. In Edward Lear’s “Nonsense Songs”, which two animals “went to sea / In a beautiful pea-green boat”?
8. In Hugh Lofting’s “Doctor Dolittle” series of books, was Polynesia a pig, a parrot or a porcupine?
9. Who wrote a 1933 book called “Flush”, the fictional biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s spaniel?
10. In Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels”, what kind of animals were the Houyhnhnms?
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!
Questions set by Tony Augarde (www.augardebooks.co.uk)