With the Iceland’s volcanoes in the news you may be wondering how volcanoes work. The Virtual Library has many online resources to help you learn more about volcanoes. Here are a few resources to get you started:
- Credo Reference - Earth’s Volcanoes and Eruptions: An Overview from the Encyclopedia of Volcanoes
- Credo Reference – The Greeks did not have a word for volcanoes, nor did the Romans (“volcano” is Italian, from Latin Vulcanus the god), but they were both very familiar with them. (From A Dictionary of Literary Symbols)
- How volcanoes are formed from Philip’s Encyopedia 2008 in Credo Reference
- U*X*L Encyclopedia of Weather and Natural Disasters. Ed. Jeffrey Hunter. Vol. 4: Optical Effects to Wildfire. Detroit: UXL, 2008. p587-615.
- Kids InfoBits – Volcanoes – great for younger students; includes books, magazines, newspaper articles and images.
- MTU Volcanoes Pages – lots of resources about volcanoes including volcano humor!
For more resources visit Databases A-Z.