This week: Emancipation
Image “Emancipation Proclamation”. Find it on Credo Reference
1. Name the sixteenth president of the United States, whose Emancipation Proclamation officially freed slaves in the Confederate states in 1863.
2. The abolition of slavery in the United States and the emancipation of nearly 4 million enslaved people was the most significant outcome of which war?
3. Name the man who gave his life in 1859 trying to end slavery in the United States with a failed attempt to capture an arsenal in Virginia and distribute weapons to the slaves.
4. The Society of Friends played a significant role in the history of abolitionism. By what name are they usually known?
5. The writer of “Les Misérables” denounced slavery. What was his name?
6. When talking of slavery, what was the “Underground Railroad”?
7. Which antislavery novel published in 1852 sold more than 10,000 copies in the first week of publication?
8. In a celebrated case of 1841, the U. S. Supreme Court determined that a group of Africans had been illegally abducted and could not be held as slaves. The Africans had revolted on a Spanish slave ship called…what?
9. Who led the only successful slave rebellion in history in the French colony of Saint-Domingue on the island of Hispaniola between 1791 and 1804, and helped to establish Haiti?
10. Booker T. Washington was a pioneer in promoting education for emancipated slaves. What was his middle name?
Find the answers here.