Quite a lot of words start with the letters P-E-N. In this brainteaser, see if you can identify these pen- words from the definitions given. For example, if the definition is “A device for writing and drawing,” the answer could be “pencil.” Use Credo Reference if you need help finding the answers.
1. A dwelling on the roof or in the uppermost part of a building, usually structurally distinct.
2. A punishment, such as imprisonment, a fine, etc. imposed for wrongdoing, breaking a contract or rule, etc.
3. Deeply, seriously, or sadly thoughtful.
4. A narrow strip of land projecting into a sea or lake from the mainland.
5. A weight, suspended from a fixed point, that swings freely back and forth.
6. In the U.S. or Canada: a state or federal prison.
7. An athletic contest consisting of five different events.
8. Next to the last.
9. A fringe region of half shadow resulting from the partial obstruction of light by an opaque object.
10. A line of verse consisting of five metrical feet.
Find the answers here.